Tuesday, January 11, 2011

So It Begins

Yesterday we started getting into the regular beat of things around here. Had a lecture in the morning about what was expected of us academically, how exactly classes were going to work, and then a general overview of what our Integral course will be covering. Later in the day was the first Integral lecture, and while Dr. Crowe made some interesting points, there were times I found it difficult to see just what his purpose for the whole lecture was. If that's the worst of it though, I should be fine.

More importantly though, we all got sworn in at the Bodleian Library. This library isn't just some building full of books either. It has its own campus, with several major buildings in one area, and several other Bodleian system libraries in the area. Then there are the stacks, about 10 million books not even on the shelves, that are stored all over the country. They used to be stored in one building across the street from the main section, but it got too small, so the books have been relocated while they work on building a new one for them. Unfortunately the library is a bit stuffy, so even though they have all these cool materials, the place is rather stuffy and difficult to deal with. Browsing is rather hard, and they can be kind of stingy when it comes to using certain parts and materials. I do understand where they are coming from though. It's a reference library for a lot of people, so they need to keep materials controlled; plus it is one of six national book repositories, meaning it has a copy of every book published since the 1600's. It is a book lover's dream and nightmare at the same time. So many books and material, so much difficulty just to look at it. And for those of you who don't care about books, the Bod is also where parts of Harry Potter were filmed. The first room we walked into reminded us of the movies, and the next room over is the one used for the infirmary scenes. Also one of the upper reading rooms was used as Hogwarts library, though I'm told they discourage people from going up there, and don't allow photos in any of the buildings. Still, I'll find an excuse to go in and sneak some pictures.

I also signed up for a library card at the local public library. While it probably won't be as academically helpful, it'll be nice to have access to entertainment materials and such. The place was rather busy with people from all over town, which was pretty cool to see. The library's part of a mall I walked around for a while, and there were even two video game stores, both of which were having sales and both of which I managed to leave without buying anything. There were also two bookstores, one which was rather expensive with a few sale items, and the other one which is closing and everything's pretty cheap. Again didn't buy anything, but I know I'll be back to the one that's closing. It's only 2 minutes from the dorm after all.
Dinner last was weird. After having the dining hall to ourselves up till now, it felt strange having to share with regular St. Peter's College students and not being able to all sit at one table. You can definitely see cliques forming within our students already. There's one group of girls that instantly segregated themselves, so it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the term goes.

Today most people started their tutorials, and I spent my time lazing around. Both of mine start tomorrow, at the same time, of course. I've gotten it straightened out so I can meet both, but still, annoying. After lunch today I went out exploring more of Oxford. Found the post office, some places to try eating at, 2 cool stationary shops, and 3 bookstores. How I managed not to buy anything I have no idea, though there were a couple of books that almost became attached to my hand. And I haven't even been to Blackwell's yet, which is supposed to be one of the largest bookstores in the world. I am in pretty serious trouble here.

Tried doing some work after I got back, having some difficulty focusing on it, which is why I'm typing this instead of reading it. Also found some readings in my mailbox tonight, really hope which ever professor they're from does not expect them read by tomorrow. Didn't even specify what class they're for. I think I know, but it's just a guess. Anyway, I have meetings for my three classes tomorrow, hopefully everything will be fine and the reading won't be too overwhelming. Till then, try and relax tonight before the work begins tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment