Monday, January 17, 2011

Not a Kidz Bop

Harry Potter 7 was amazing, the 2nd part can come out any time now. It was pretty cool to see the movie in England, though I don't think there was any difference, it was still fun. The theatre was nice, you sit kind of low and the chair backs are high, but you can see in between them to the screen so even if someone tall sits in front of you you can still see the screen. Just Zoe and I went, Katie said she had too much homework (and possibly too much of a hangover), a little expensive, but if another group wants to go I'd gladly go one more time, it was a great movie. Unfortunately going to the movie also meant missing dinner, so I ran to Tesco to grab some dinner, got Croissants and cheese, the place was a zoo and quite a few shelves were empty. What I got was fine, though the cheese I got was pretty much American, didn't feel like being too adventurous, plus it was a good price.

Got back to the dorm and ate pretty quick, then changed clothes to go to the bop party at St. Peters. The theme was pop/rock stars, so you were supposed to dress up as a musician basically. Figured I'd just say the lead singer of an obscure band if someone asked, which fortunately no one did. Jason and I were two of the first ones there, just sat around in the pub for a while waiting. Eventually everyone showed up, about the time I was about to walk back to St. Michael's to see what they were doing. No one was really dancing in the JCR, just standing around in the pub talking, so that's where we went. It was packed. The instant you moved a foot someone else had filled the space where you just were. Eventually the girls decided they wanted to dance, so I went with them. We were the only ones and I was self-conscience as usual, but I got moving and everything was fine. It also helps that British guys can't dance either, so I didn't look like a complete idiot. We were some of the first ones in the JCR, but over the course of the next hour it really filled up. Like, extremely packed. Our group varied in size, starting big, shrinking, adding more people, then shrinking again till there was only 4 of us. When Craig decided to start busting open his glow sticks to make himself all sparkly I decided that was enough for me. I had been there for 3 hours, it was really getting cramped in the room making me uncomfortable, and how drunk people were was really starting to show, so I said bye and came back.

Expected the place to be empty, but there were some people in the our JCR (Junior Common Room, by the way) so I joined them expecting quiet and to talk about the bop. Then all of a sudden most the people from the bop were back, apparently it ended like 5 minutes after I left, go figure. Supposedly it moved to a club called the Purple Turtle, where things could get really rowdy, but I don't think anyone really went afterwards. We had our own fun, with Craig somehow bleeding from his hand, that's what happens when you cut open glow sticks, and one girl had lost her wallet. Everyone else was tipsy and looking for bed. Still, we talked for a while and threw Hercules in the DVD player, but slowly people drifted off to go to bed, and halfway through I decided to call it quits too. There were only 2 girls left as I went, and they were arguing about whether or not to shut it off, still not sure what they did.

Sunday I spent most my day reading, writing a paper and doing laundry. Both the washer and dryer are 1.30 pounds, needing a 10p, 20p, and £1 coins. The £1 is whatever, but they actually don't give you many 10p and 20p pieces, and I only had enough to run the machines 3 times, and because they are such tiny washers, I needed to use the 3 just to wash them. I managed to get one more 10p piece, so I was also able to run the dryer, and just left stuff out to air dry, like shirts that could shrink and my jeans(which are still hanging in the laundry room and which I should probably go get after this.) Anyway, I also missed brunch because apparently they switched to regular times, which meant 11:30 instead of 12:30, nice of them to tell us. So I went back to Tesco and got stuff for sandwiches as well as detergent, so whatever. It also got me some of the coins I needed, so it all worked out. Ciabatta bread, roast turkey, and cheese make really good sandwiches, FYI.

Spent the rest of the night working on my paper, got to the last paragraph and quit, planning to finish in the morning, which was a good thing cause when I looked over the last few sentences I wrote my grammar was pretty sad, like not really English. Also tried talking to Mom while I was working on it, which really didn't go so well. Good to know she's actually got a plan in the making for her trip, hopefully there won't be too many problems with that.

Today was I was mediumly productive. Finished my history paper, lazed around till lunch, then went straight from lunch to the Stackler Library, which I really do not care for. The people there are rather, if not mean, then just grumpy and impatient with people who have no idea what's going on. Apparently you have to register your bod card before you can get in, which I did not know and which the front desk lady angrily informed me after I tried to get in. It was also a pain to find anything there, like a place to sit. Eventually I just took my book and went downstairs, since I doubt we're allowed to check anything out from this library either, and did find a group of open tables. Eventually I had to use the bathroom, so after walking around 2 floors I asked, and found it was right next to the stairs I had been using, go der. Got sick of working a little later, came back, wasted time, had dinner, and now doing a little bit of work and mainly this. I have my first real tutorial tomorrow, for which I e-mailed my paper early today, while I still have one due this Thursday and reading for Wednesday. Either going to work on that or a rant blog about things the British need to Americanize. Right now the blog is looking a lot more likely. Anyway, there's an update for the 2nd half of my weekend, and I can't think of anything else, so for I guess I'll sign off for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment