Saturday, January 8, 2011

Free Day

So today we were pretty much left to our own devices to do whatever we wanted. Got up at for breakfast at 8am, only to learn that they won’t be feeding us this weekend. Rather upsetting to learn after getting up so early. So a few of us went to Sainsbury’s, a local grocery for store, for something to eat. I got a rather bland British version of a cinnamon roll and lemon/lime water, which is rather good. Talked with other people in the kitchen for awhile, then went to the lecture hall for a talk about the field trips we’ll be taking. While interesting, the professor jumped around quite a bit and it was hard to focus. Afterwards helped move a few boxes to a professor’s room, and then went out with Craig to take pictures of Oxford. Got some cool shots, though where we went is not really the downtown areas or where I’m going to spending a majority of my time. Hopefully I’ll take some more of the schools and dorm later. I’ll post the ones I took today soon. There was one area that seemed to be part of the Thames with a little path around it. There were also houseboats in the water by the path, kind of reminded me of an American trailer park. After we got back I relaxed and took a nap, then went down to the common room to read, though I wound up watching the TV more.
Later went to dinner with a group of people, but we had to split into two groups cause the pubs are rather small. Craig went with one group of 4 girls across the street, while the other group of 4 and I went to the pub Eagle and Child, which is a big name around here. It's where Tolkien and C.S. Lewis liked to hang out while at Oxford. Yep, it's pretty awesome. What wasn't awesome is that my food order got lost or delayed somehow, so I didn't get my chicken burger till everyone else was already pretty much done. But we were talking, so waiting wasn't that bad, plus I got my money back, which was rather nice.

We took the long route back to St. Michael's, mostly by accident, and then quite a few of us went to the common room to watch a movie. Ended up watching Pocahontas, which is fine by me. Rather a happy Disney movie than some of the other ones they were considering. I'm typing this while we watch/take shots at the movie. Still can't get Wi-Fi to work here, so I'll post it when I get back to my room. Overall today was a pretty good day. Tomorrow's our trip to the Tower of London, so hopefully that will turn out good as well. Suppose bed is a good idea now, since I'm still adjusting to the time change. Hopefully I'll be fully acclimated and 100 percent soon.

Lastly, here's a picture of the first boat of the houseboat line on we walked by.

Some were nice, some were sketchy looking. It was all very interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Clarification: Chicken Burger is tomato, lettuce, mayo, chicken breast, mozerella, and a chunk of bacon/ham. I took the bacon off, really didn't need the heart attack.

    ReplyDelete