Thursday, January 13, 2011

Nought Week Down

So I've been here at CMRS for a week now, and I must say I'm actually starting to enjoy myself. This week of term is called 0 week, or, as the British say, Nought Week. Yesterday I had 3 of my classes, the two tutorials mistakenly both scheduled for 10:30am, and my seminar at 11am. Fortunately everything was straightened out so I was able to make it to both intro tutorial meetings and only a few minutes late to my seminar. Both of my tutorials seem like there going to be fun but a lot of work, and they are not as structured as I'd like. Both of them require writing a 2000 word paper a week, which is standard for this program, but then both of them only gave a long "recommended" reading list that should help with writing them. While I appreciate the options, I really would have preferred something more structured where they say "you have to read this, this, and this, and then write a paper referencing/about them." No such luck. My seminar class is a little more structured with the readings, though again there are many books that are recommended you read, but not required. The seminar also ran through lunch, which I was rather upset about. I was hungry, and having to wait another 5 hours for a meal is aggravating, especially since I wasn't in the mood to go buy something.

About an hour later we had our group picture, and it's a good thing we all get along rather well because we were squished together rather close. Sad too that even with so many girls I'm was still in the middle height range. After the picture I went to the computer room to look up some of my books, a rather annoying system they have for our personal library. We're not even allowed in it.

From there I went out shopping for a few things. My first stop was a little book/card shop called Waythner's right by the dorm, where I decided to splurge a little and bought myself a nice little Moleskine notebook for £10, yes a little pricey but it's really cool and I love using it. Then after walking around in the rain for a bit either watching people or trying to remember where different stores are, I went to the local pharmacy to get kleenex. That's one thing at least around here, there's no just general store, every shop is pretty specialized. Was going to buy just one box, but the girl at the counter informed me that I could get a second for only another 20 pence. Wasn't posted or anything, so thank God I went to a real person to pay instead of self-checkout. After that came back here, dropped my stuff off and went to dinner.

Went back to the Computer Room to print out an assigned reading, cause I could not read it online anymore. Took me like 10 minutes to open the stupid door, thing is a pain. Input a code, turn your key and doorknob at the same time then push. Somehow today I managed to get it in one shot though. Anyway, while I was in there trying to figure out how to make the stupid Mac print in duplex, I heard someone else struggling with the door so I let them in, turned out to be Brenna. Gave up on duplex, just printed the darn thing single sided, which ate up 30 sheets of paper. Could have shrunk the font size I guess, but didn't think of that till it was already done. Talked to Brenna for a while, then came back to the room to read, made it about halfway through before I started falling asleep, and after 45min. of struggling decided to say screw it and just go to bed. Funny thing is, this is the time I normally like to take naps back home anyway, plus getting up so early definitely helps.

Today I spent my time working. After breakfast I did waste time with Facebook and NCIS, but I did get notes on one book. Then went to lunch, and after which I went over to the Bodleian Library. A very cool place, and something of a pain as well. Something I'll discuss at a later post. Anyway, after over 3 hours there I came back and just wandered around St. Michael's as my brain was fried. Dinner was an hour early, so left for that and had a very enjoyable time with people. We all actually sat for some time after we finished talking, instead of slowly drifting away after finishing like we usually do. Post-dinner was mediocre studying, internet time wasting, and talking to home. And at this juncture in time after showering and all that what-not, it is time for bed again, which I am definitely looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment