Friday, January 7, 2011

I Hate 777s

Okay, maybe not hate hate, but I prefer the 757 I took from O'Hare to JFK. Not as many people, less walkway space for people to get up and move around. Also to this flight's benefit was that I got a window seat, and there was no between me and the guy to my right, so I had a bit more room. It also took off on time and landed early, which was really nice.

Really didn't have any problems at JFK, but my flight got delayed for three hours before we could bored, at which point people were seriously annoyed, and rather rude. Some girl put her giant carry-on in the overhead for my seat and then went and sat somewhere else, leaving no room for other people to put stuff in. I know it really pissed one guy off, who almost got into a fight with an attendant. The girl who sat next to me on the 777 instantly plugged here headphones in and started watching a movie, great talker there. Plus she had the window seat and she didn't even look out it, very irritating. There wasn't anything I wanted to watch though, and I got to triple check my choices since we spent an hour on the tarmac before they even started towards the runway. Finally took off, I just listened to my MP3, and dinner was shortly served.
For all the crap you hear about airplane food, it was surprisingly good. Tortellini, salad, roll, crackers, and a chocolate chip cookie block. Then they killed the lights, I tried sleeping but it was hard without any real place for my head, plus all the screens people still had on glowing. They gave out blankets and pillows that made it a little better, but not much. Faded in and out a few times, during which I lost all track of time. Eventually I gave up and played my GBA for the rest of the flight, served hot croissants as it got light out, which was good. We landed shortly after.

Most people had a connecting flight, so they all pushed and shoved to get off and see what options were available to them since we were so late. I calmly waited until most of them were gone and then deplaned. Most of them were in a big group as I walked past, so glad they rushed so much. Customs was a breeze, the lady and I pretty much just talked about how expensive education is, and the riots because it could get higher. Grabbed my bags easy, but then I had to get to the central bus station, which required a looooonng walk down a twisty tunnel carrying two backpacks and hauling my other two bags, while smartly wearing my winter coat. 3/4 of the way through I finally took the coat off I was sweating so bad, and fortunately the station was cold. Bought a ticket no problem, then got a bottle of Fanta. Pretty sure I really overpaid, but I don't care, I was really thirsty.

Got on the bus, and then at the other stop my roommate Craig got on and sat behind me, it was cool to meet him there. Another exchange student got on from the South who was the typical American. He sat in two seats first, then moved back next to some old lady so he could talk to us better, and he was practically leaning back on her the whole ride. Plus he was really loud, it was pretty embarrassing. Got to Oxford, and after a little getting lost we found who we were supposed to meet and made it to the school. The cobblestones made my duffle bag keep falling off my wheeled suitcase, so again I was sweating when we reached the dorm. Oldish, narrow, neat and crappy at the same time, I'll put pictures up of my room soon here and on Facebook. And apparently compared to some others, it's really nice. I've been here a little over 24 hours now, and I've run the emotional gambit from wanting to move here to laying in a fetal position wishing I was on a plane back home. Maybe I'll talk more about that later. For now this is long enough, and I feel like doing something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment