Monday, January 24, 2011

Ghosts, Homework and Parties

So apparently I didn't write at all this weekend, so this should be fun playing catch up, and sorry, it's kinda long. So Friday, I don't remember what I did. Pretty sure there was a nap involved in the morning. I know in the afternoon I actually got some work done cause I went to the Radcliffe Camera for a book. Some scary but nice looking guy even told me where the section I wanted was, which required climbing some narrow stairs. Still, the building is amazing. High dome ceiling with beautiful architecture, and the floor is padded so it doesn't make a ton of noise when you walk, unlike most the other libraries where every step you take makes you feel like a giant. Anyway, its two flaws are one, it smells funny (I think because of the floor) and two, people there can be a little rude. I mean, I understand not wanting someone to sit next to you, but that does not entitle you to take up three desks. Sorry, but buy your own book if you want to work like that.

After dinner I killed time before we left for the ghost tour around Oxford. Little pricey, but it was fun. It was me and a group of 12 girls, so unlucky 13 for the tour guide. It was freezing out, by the way, probably the coldest it's been since we got here. Real smart choice on our part. Anyhow, the tour was a lot of fun. Honestly was more historical than superstitious, which was a little disappointing. I mean, I learned a lot and saw some ancient parts of the city, but the ghost stuff was more in passing and there were only a few spots where we actually talked about how the place is haunted. Also had some Harry Potter sights pointed out to us, like the tree under which Malfoy gets turned into a ferret. We also snuck into one of the colleges real quick to see the courtyard, thrill of adventure there. Ended by a pub where you have to go down a real narrow alley to get to it, little sketchy looking, but supposedly from the middle ages. Tour guide informed me I was a lucky man to be with so many girls, to which I agreed. Feel like I used to hear that about something else I used to do as well? Anyway, after indecision and walking around trying to pick a pub, a few girls and I just came back to the hall, it was too cold out. For a little while I just sat on the sink with my feet on the heater, felt so good.

After that I decided to do some work with the books I have in the hall, so I went to the common room to relax and work. There was no one in there, so I grabbed my movies and threw the first Pirates of the Caribbean on. Seen it so many times I basically have it memorized, so it's easy to study to. Think I got 15min in before other people showed up, and from there my work ethic quickly died. Placed filled up pretty quickly, people half-watching the movie, talking, I played some weird card game Fluxx with mainly the three returners and other people who joined and quit. Game was hysterical, my stomach hurt by the end from laughing so much. Anyway, Pirates ended and it was decided to watch Gladiator because a few people hadn't seen it. Funny thing, I've owned it for 3 years and never seen it either, so we put it on. Nice to have a break from the usual chick flick, to which most people agreed. At first people were being noisy (myself included) so we had subtitles on for a while, but eventually everyone paid attention so we turned them off. I also got a bit of noise for some of my movies, both ones I have and what some of them are, whatever. Movie ended at like 2:30 AM, at which point we all crawled off to bed.

Saturday got up kinda late, as did most people. Was one girl's birthday today, but we all sang and stuff after 12 the night before. Went to brunch, came back and actually got work done, which was nice. Finally video chatted with home for the first time, which I was really happy about. Of course there were technical problems and my Dad had to be dragged out of bed to help. In the end they could see me fine but all I saw was a grey screen. I blame Dad's laptop. After that again my productivity pretty much died, think I got somethings done but I can't remember what. Decided to go to early morning mass for the 23rd, so I went to bed early instead of staying up in the common room again.

So I was the first one up and out Sunday morning. Everyone else in the building was asleep, so all the lights turned on as I walked out. Also had on my black cap, which I wore all day. Managed to find Blackfriars church rather easily, which surprised me. Its address said it was further down, but by luck I found it. The entrance to the chapel is actually a little side door right inside the main entrance to the school's courtyard, which surprised me. Anyway, it was a big room, but the altar was in the middle and there were chairs lined up in the back half. Old, rickety and uncomfortable, but they keep you awake. Place was also pretty empty, mostly older adults. Only other teens were there with their parents, and just like back home people showed up late, one guy during the homily. Otherwise it was pretty much the same, the only time there was a word difference was a line in the Nicene Creed, which is surprising. When I've gone to other churches even in Illinois, there have been times where what I automatically say for a prayer is different from the congregation. Really expected a bigger variance. Only other differences was the place was freezing, everyone kept their coats on and all the women their hats, and the priest had an English accent instead of an Asian one. Oh, there were also no kneelers, and the floor was really hard. Only a few of us actually knelt the whole time we were supposed to, most the older people just stood. Otherwise, felt like home.

Walked back to St. Michael's, it had warmed up quite a bit considering what the temperature had been, and the streets were a little busier. I'm actually learning my way around here pretty well, though if you ask me street names I still don't have a clue. Went back to bed till brunch, then ran over to St. Peter's library to work hard, since I had a paper due the next day. I really hate that library. It's crowded, the floor creaks everywhere, and out of 4 books I only managed to find 1. I found where the others were supposed to be, found the spot between two other books where they should have been, and they weren't there. Later I managed to find another one, but that required getting a ladder to reach it. Errr. After a few hours of reading an archeology book, which I have decided I do not like and now understand why many historians prefer written sources, I ran over to the Radcliffe because I knew they had one of the books that St. Peter's was missing.

Worked there till dinner, ate quick then did more work in my room till it was time for the JCR meeting which I had volunteered to do. While waiting for people I found soccer balls in the common room, which was a little random. Anyway, it should be a fun thing to do, and we also already planned out a few events. At 8pm most of us went to/were already in the common room to sing happy birthday to the two people whose birthdays were today. Go figure. Anyway, sang, gave them the gifts we pitched in for, and dawdled for a bit while people made plans for what to do. After a short while I needed a change of atmosphere, somewhere less upbeat where I could go be gloomy. I went back to St. Peter's to finish taking notes and get started on my paper, on the way ran into people who tried going to the pub only to find it was closed. Worked till about midnight, decided to quit, came back and took a shower, watched the movie I made last year and went to bed.

I don't feel like this is really a place to spill my guts out, if you're wondering why there isn't more about Grandpa and my feelings for today. I have a journal for that, not a public website.

Anyway, today was all work, unfortunately. Got up, had breakfast, and since Craig wanted to sleep I went to the computer lab to work. A good thing too, I'm able to focus better there than in here where I tend to be easily distracted. Spent the morning writing my paper, took a break for lunch, then went back to writing. Finished around 3pm, which was nice. Maybe should have proofread, but I just e-mailed to my professor. So done. Relaxed for an hour, then had a lecture on the renaissance. Weird state of mind for that. Already mentally tired, but I found the subject of Utopia fascinating. Took 2 1/2 pages of notes in 45 min, and honestly it maybe felt like 10 to me. After that though my hand started to hurt and after 1 hr. 15 min I was starting to lose focus, which I guess was better than some of the other students. Took over 4 pages of notes, and a good chunk of ink. Not sure I brought enough pens at the rate I'm going right now. After dinner I've been relaxing and getting some little things done, like this and some e-mails. Have some reading to do, and planning to be in bed by around 11pm hopefully. Shouldn't be a problem, feel tired already.

No comments:

Post a Comment