Monday, February 28, 2011

Mayhem, Murder and Homework

Friday-2/25/2011

Friday night was our murder mystery party. In the morning I did some homework, mostly for my seminar paper. Since I was helping host, I spent a good deal of the afternoon reading through the entire thing, it was really interesting. I enjoy being in a position where I know everything that's going on and can help direct people rather than having an actual character. Anyway, spent at least a good two hours reading through all of that, then went to dinner where Laura, Lauren and I talked about how we wanted certain things to work and who would have what roles. My job was technically "head librarian" while the other two were head porters. So I dealt with certain aspects of the came and then they took care of the rest. After dinner I ironed my shirt since it was all wrinkled and looked really bad. After 20 minutes with the iron it didn't look much better than when I started, but there was a slight improvement. Next time I'll try ironing it shortly after I was it, maybe. Then went over to the JCR to move furniture and make sure everything was set-up. Ran back to my room when we were done to quickly change and grab my stuff before heading back.

The party was really fun, and right away people started getting into character. A couple of girls came as male characters with drawn beards and mustaches, which were hysterical. We didn't exactly follow the game the way the instructions said to, but then part of the fun is making innovations to make the game your own. We had a ton of food out, almost all of which was gone by the end of the night. I admittedly snacked more than I should have. I kept my mouth shut the entire time I'm proud to say, and only gave a recommendations when people who were really stuck asked for help. There was one point where Lauren and I were cracking up because of some of the people who were working together because they didn't know the other's secret identity. It was also a little scary to see how good some people were at lying. Hmmm. Anyway, it really was a lot of fun, no body seemed to have a bad time, and there were no real problems. Only had two people die though, which of course happened right at the end of the game as everyone rushed over saying they wanted to fight or assassinate someone. Early in the game someone had tried to poison Craig, but another character saved him, the whole scene of which was pretty funny. In the end a good amount of people had figured out the general plot of the main part of the game, but there were a lot of surprises as people revealed the many side arcs that were going on at the same time, and only a couple of people actually for sure figured out who the real murderer was. A third person got it, but she had just guessed. No matter, it was really fun.

Spent time afterwards putting the room back together and helping clean dishes, then just stood around for a while talking. Decided to watch a movie, and after a night of intrigue there was a general consensus of people being in a Disney mood. With the VCR permanently out of commission we were forced to rely on DVD's from home, which still left us with too many choices. A few were argued over for a while, and eventually it came down to a vote between Lion King and Hunchback of Notre Dame. It tied and I hadn't voted, and when they asked why not I said I wanted to watch Hercules, so that's what we watched. Somedays I love my life. Most the group made it about 2/3 of the way through and then went to bed, but since was the 2nd time we'd put it on I was determined to watch to the end. Anyway, meant to go bed afterwards, but stayed up talking and sort of watching Scrubs. Finally went to bed around 3AM.

Saturday-2/26/2011

Definitely meant to get up earlier than I did, but got up just before brunch. I needed to go to the History Faculty Library, which is only open from 10-1 on Saturdays, so I ate rather quickly and then went straight there. Fortunately I only needed one book, so after a little over an hour I left. I would like to say I was productive after I got back, but I spent most of my time watching movies and playing games on my laptop for the rest of the day. Got a little more reading done, but nothing very substantial.

Sunday-2/27/2011

Fortunately on Sunday I was much more motivated, though I still didn't get up much earlier than brunch time. Besides the point though, after coming back here I spent a good chunk of time reading books I had gotten from the Feneley library, with intermittent breaks here and there that were never too long. Alix invited me to dinner to finish off the leftovers from Thursday, which was very nice and much appreciated. Of course St. Peter's had meat pies tonight, which are rather tasty, but homecooked food with friends is still preferable. Afterwards videoed home, which was pretty informative. I know my family was going to the spaghetti dinner for Boy Scouts, while Dad tried bring Kanik to his computer so he could see me. Would have been easier to bring the laptop to him, but whatever. He had no idea what was going on and couldn't figure out where my voice was coming from. He's so cute. And I got a new FB profile picture out of it. Had a committee meeting after that, but since people were missing and there wasn't much to talk about it was pretty short. Basically just what to talk about next week. Anyway, after we finished I ran over to St. Peter's, which is conviently open 24hrs a day to read some more. Definitely get more work done in libraries, less distractions. Came back here and decided to just call it quits, it wasn't worth working myself so hard that I couldn't get up in the morning. Took a shower and read a little in bed before going to sleep.

Monday-2/28/2011

Today was a typical Monday unfortunately. Spent most the day working on my Anglo-Saxon paper, my standard. Feel I did a pretty good job this time, made sure not to stray from the question. After that went to colloquium, for which the reading had been very difficult to find and so most people didn't do it, myself included. Really couldn't follow the professor's logic anyway, so I spent most my time thinking about other things and trying to figure out why my pen wouldn't work right. Can't afford to break this one, I only have two left. Went from there to dinner and have pretty much been relaxing since. Yesterday and today I've been watching Legend of the Seeker quite a bit. I've basically been cycling through stuff on my external hardrive, though I might need to disconnect it soon so I can focus on getting more work done. Two more weeks of the really hard stuff, and then the easier course. Just got keep it up with another major paper thrown on top of it all. Oh joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment