Saturday, May 12, 2012

One Year Later

So I realized I never actually finished and closed this blog out, so I figure a little after a year since I came home might be an appropriate time to do so. My last days at CMRS were extremely happy and sad at the same time, a very sublime experience. On one hand, we all spent as much time together as we could, just hanging out and making a big deal out of every goodbye. I wrote most of it down in my journal, but seeing as how upset I was with the end of everything and already missing everyone, I would rather end this piece on a happier note.

Our second to last night we had a big goodbye party, where we all had fun in our diminshed common room, with people slowly drifting out to leave either the next day or the day after. I of course stayed to the bitter end, where since they were planning to remodel the entire common room anyway, we stole pieces of the fuzzy 70's wallpaper for mementos. The next night, with everything packed, I just sat around talking with everyone, especially Lauren, Alix and Jason. Going to bed that night was hard, especially since Craig was with Laura and his side of the room was completely barren, and he'd be gone before I got up.

As I walked down the stairs Saturday, there were a number of suitcases on the landing, and I will admit that I dillydallied as much as possible. Eventually though I had to admit there was nothing left for me to do, everything was in my bags that I was somehow supposed to get to the airport, I had said my goodbyes to Dr. Philpott and the rest of the CMRS staff, and while there were still a few students around, we were all pretty busy and had already said our goodbyes, so encounters were usually just sad little smiles as we passed each other by.

Getting to Heathrow wasn't too bad, though I definitely got weaker in my time away from the gym. Getting to my terminal was a bit of pain, since it required taking a shuttle that really wasn't designed to accomodate people with large bags, and it was a little crowded. Anyway, the night passed okay, spent it reading books and took a nap on top of my bags, and with other people around me doing the same thing it felt a little better. I was still pretty on edge though. Actually gettting on the plane is an ordeal I do not feel like recounting here, just ask me about it in person and I'll start ranting about it no problem though.

Once I was settled on the plane I was able to relax a bit, knowing that there was nothing left for me to do except sit back and wait for the trip to end. Amsterdam really wan't a problem, I was able find my gate easily and then just sat around waiting to go. Each gate had its own security, which was a neat idea, but it required waiting in line for a while to do it again, which was a little annoying. The second plane ride was fine, I read a book, slept, and watched tv. It was weird seeing NCIS with edited accents and words.

Landing and getting through customs wasn't a problem. I was a little concerned since I reported only a few things on my card thing and had tea with me, but I just got waved through no problem after waiting in line. I also turned my cell phone on while waiting in line, it was strange having it working again after so many months without it. Grabbed a cart and got my luggage pretty easily, then went outside to wait for mom and dad. I will admit, I didn't smell that great. I'd been wearing the same clothes for over 36 hours at that point, (jeans, 3 t-shirts, a hoodie and my jacket because of weight issues at Heathrow, and sweating from having to run a little), so I was looking forward to getting home, showering and sleeping.

Dad found me standing around outside (it was so much nicer outside with all those layers on), and eventually mom managed to reach us. Through my stuff in and away we went. They'd also brought Kanik, so that was fun. It was good to be home.

And now it's a year later. I should be writing my senior thesis, so of course this seemed like the better choice to do. In graduate in two weeks, and while the work load in front of me looks daunting, my time in Oxford has well prepared me to deal with it. I don't know what will happen after graduation, unfortunately I was not accepted to Oxford for grad school, so now I don't have any real plans. But I have a list of options, so no need to worry yet. I'm still in contact with a number of people from CMRS, and no matter what happens, I know I will always look back on these past few months as some of the best in my life. Looks like I am taking my next steps into the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment